Friday, May 16, 2008

Attraction Jackson: Leeds Castle


Leeds Castle bills itself as "the Loveliest Castle in the World." Having seen quite a few myself, I'm inclined to agree that it is indeed very lovely, but will save my agreement of this sound bite until I've seen them all. With that in mind, I am happy to say that a trip to see this breathtaking castle and grounds in Kent is well worth some space on anyone's travel agenda.

GreenLine Buses: Setting the Stage

The weather having been gorgeous all week while I was working in London, even the busy signals on the phone trying to reach GreenLine couldn't dampen my enthusiasm looking forward to this day out. When I finally did reach someone there, I was told that they did not take pre-booking, but I simply should just show up and pay the driver. As I wanted to pay by credit card, the customer service agent instructed me that I may do so in the GreenLine office near the bus
stop.

Naturally, the morning came, and it was raining, but only drizzling, so I was still keen. Not even the pictures of flash floods in Kent the day before deterred me. I arrived at the GreenLine office, which is in Fountain Square just behind Victoria train station, only to be told that they did not take credit cards. Grrr. A short trip to Victoria to get some cash, and another 15 minutes later I am waiting for the bus.

I was rather disappointed that the bus was 15 minutes late, but still in a buoyant mood as I boarded the bus alone, to be greeted by an audible sigh and a surly bus driver, who said nothing as I paid him. I was the only one who wanted to go to Leeds Castle that day apparently, and had probably spoiled his plans to hang around the office all day by clambering aboard. I'm glad this wasn't a guided tour!

The journey to Leeds Castle with GreenLine is two hours from London to Kent. I fell asleep and woke up about 10 minutes away to a window full of terrible fog and heavy rain. Remembering I had forgotten my jacket, I brightened up nonetheless as things seemed to be clearing up as we arrived, despite the driver grunting "Be back here at 4!" as I dismounted the bus into the rain.

Finally There: The Day Is Looking Up

The day was getting better as I was greeted cheerfully by the staff at Leeds Castle. I hopped on the tractor pull-like people mover and was at the ancient gates of the castle within minutes, having admired some peacocks and blooms along the way.

Leeds Castle is indeed in a beautiful setting. The castle sits on two islands in the middle of a mirror lake, surrounded by hundreds of acres of countryside. The castle dates back to the 9th century, but the current building was built by the Normans in the early 12th century.

Walking through a path laden with blue bells and lovely blooming trees, I arrived at the castle and despite temptation, made my way first to Fairfax Hall, which holds several shops and the Terrace Room restaurants. I had a lovely lunch (see related article on the web site) overlooking the castle, which gave me a chance to warm up and plan my afternoon.

After a wonderful meal, I had a quick peek through the shops. For souvenir shops, I felt that all the shops at Leeds Castle would be a great stop for nice momentos of your trip to England. On offer was the typical tourist lot, but also a wide selection of charming items.

Touring the Grounds

Right outside of Fairfax Hall, you come upon Culpeper Garden, a lovely example of an English formal garden. After a
leisurely stroll through the gardens, I came upon an Aviary. I'm not really a "bird" person, but the aviary was charming and they had a great selection of exotic birds. The awww factor came from the mother mallard sitting proudly by with her babies though.

Further down the path brings you to an area which holds the maze, the vineyard and a greenhouse. I didn't have time to get lost in the maze, but there is apparently a great view of the surrounding countryside from the mound in the middle. The greenhouse allows you to buy some of the beautiful plants and flowers that are cultivated in the gardens. Remember to check whether you can take them out of the UK into your home though!

I stayed on the track which loops around and takes you back next to Great Water, and this brings you to the Lady Baillie Garden. This garden is also enchanting, designed in an English country informal garden style.

The Castle Itself: Saving the Best for Last?

I decided it was time to see the castle. The present castle is a result of many centuries of renovations and rebuilding.
Royalty became entwined with the castle when it was given to Edward I by a courtier seeking favour with the King.

The tour of the castle was interesting, but I think the interior doesn't do the exterior justice. The best parts were the very interesting (and not boring for once) explanation of heraldry and crests, and the old rat trap. There are expert guides in each room to answer questions should you have any, and to make sure you keep your grubby mitts off of the antiques.

I didn't have time for the dog collar museum on the way out, but perhaps that's a good thing. I hear it's quite unusual though, and might be worth a look. If you have a pooch, the adjacent shop might be a good place to pick up a nice pressie for Spot or Rover.

Right, just enough time to take the wooded garden walk via the duckery back to meet the coach. This area was just as enchanting and I wish I had more time to spend looking around at a more leisurely pace. If you're lucky, you'll get to see the colourful peacocks that strut around here as well.

If you need incentive to drag your own protesting men with you (mine was working, so he lucked out), or even if you don't need an excuse, it might be worthwhile to note that golf can be played at Leeds Castle. This does, however, need to be booked 6 days in advance.

Admission and Information

Despite the surly driver (I had one that actually spoke on the way back ), I would still recommend the GreenLine
bus trip if you are getting to Leeds Castle from London. The reason? Great value. Admission to Leeds Castle for adults costs £9.50, £7.50 for seniors, and £6.00 for children (aged 5-15). My ticket with GreenLine included the bus ride plus admission for £13.00 inclusive. Incidentally, if you are short of time and wish to skip the castle, you may pay a reduced grounds only admission fare of £7.50 for adults, £6.00 for seniors, or £4.50 for children.

Leeds Castle is open all year with the exception of Christmas Day and a few days where special events are held in the castle (but the grounds are still open). The hours are 10am-5pm in March through October, and 10am-3pm in November though February. I'll definitely be going again.

Marks out of 10 for the GreenLine: 3 (value saving grace!)
Marks out of 10 for Leeds Castle: 9

Be sure and check out the website for the related Leeds Castle restaurant review and my photos from the trip!

Ana's Top Tips!

* Leeds Castle holds special events all throughout the year, which include open air concerts, culinary events and more.
To find out more about these, or how to reach Leeds Castle by car, train, or other buses, visit their official web site at:

http://www.leed-castle.co.uk

* If my badmouthing hasn't deterred you (and really, it shouldn't, but I'm a stickler for customer service, or at
least, civility), you can check out GreenLine's web site for information on the Leeds Castle schedule and other
routes they run to popular tourist attractions:

), I would still recommend the GreenLine
bus trip if you are getting to Leeds Castle from London. The reason? Great value. Admission to Leeds Castle for adults costs £9.50, £7.50 for seniors, and £6.00 for children (aged 5-15). My ticket with GreenLine included the bus ride plus admission for £13.00 inclusive. Incidentally, if you are short of time and wish to skip the castle, you may pay a reduced grounds only admission fare of £7.50 for adults, £6.00 for seniors, or £4.50 for children.

Leeds Castle is open all year with the exception of Christmas Day and a few days where special events are held in the castle (but the grounds are still open). The hours are 10am-5pm in March through October, and 10am-3pm in November though February. I'll definitely be going again.

Marks out of 10 for the GreenLine: 3 (value saving grace!)
Marks out of 10 for Leeds Castle: 9

Be sure and check out the website for the related Leeds Castle restaurant review and my photos from the trip!

Ana's Top Tips!

* Leeds Castle holds special events all throughout the year, which include open air concerts, culinary events and more.
To find out more about these, or how to reach Leeds Castle by car, train, or other buses, visit their official web site at:

http://www.leed-castle.co.uk

* If my badmouthing hasn't deterred you (and really, it shouldn't, but I'm a stickler for customer service, or at
least, civility), you can check out GreenLine's web site for information on the Leeds Castle schedule and other
routes they run to popular tourist attractions:

http://www.greenline.co.uk ">http://www.greenline.co.uk

No comments: