Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Hawaiian Dream Trek: Waikiki

Well, so far so good! I am on the second leg of my journey and am safely on board my flight from Cincinnati to San Francisco. There was no problem connecting in Cincinnati, the flight was 1/2 hour early which left me with plenty of time even for a MacDonalds! The flight to Cincinnati was totally uneventful, except for the guy sat two away from me, who snored for most of the journey! Oh, and maybe the gay couple who insisted on sitting two rows apart and sending love sick looks to one another! Aah, how cute! Now it is just a case of fingers crossed that this flight is also on time or even early, as I only have 50 mins to change in San Francisco.

Well, my wishes came true, I arrived in San Francisco 1/2 hour early too. So no problem whatsoever changing. I also didn't have to pick up my luggage this time.

I also arrived in Honolulu 1/2 hour early, so I was finally able to get to bed at 22.30 Hawaiian time. Meaning I had been up for 27 hours. Not too bad really!

My very first impression of Hawaii was when I stepped off the plane - it smells beautiful, all flowery but not overpoweringly so! Just that smell made up for all those hours travelling!

View from the hotel room Woke up feeling quite alright at about 8am took my time getting up though. Had a look at the view from the balcony, that looks better at night, but it wasn't too bad, we aren't surrounded by skyscrapers. I had a good look at the free brochure the hotel left in the room. And decided to set out and explore and find an internet café. So on went the shorts and T-shirt and off I went in search of the VC (Visitors Centre).

Found that in a shopping centre and they knew where to find the or should I say a café with a computer. Sent a mail off to Mum and Moni, then I moseyed on down to the beach. Beautiful, less crowded than I expected. I walked right along the beach to Kapiolani Park. I had lunch at a snack bar there and sat in the shade admiring the view of Waikiki and people watching.

Eventually went back to the hotel, showered and went to a steak place for dinner. But they really rush you with eating in the States. I was in and out of the restaurant in just under 45 minutes. I then went for a walk, where I encountered a gospel choir. I listened to them singing and preaching on a street corner for about an hour and then made my way back to bed.

No comments: